Sunday, May 23, 2010

Two Day Trip to Vegas

Just got home from a short two day visit to Las Vegas. I flew in early Thursday morning to meet with some folks who are planning a tradeshow there in 2011. The ability to fly just about anywhere direct, is one thing that I really miss about living in Chicago. Reaching Las Vegas by noon from the East Coast required a 7am flight from Hartford to Dallas, then a 90 minute layover before flying to Vegas. All told, the trip took 8 hours.

It was one of those fast two day fly-work-sleep (a little)-work-fly trips. I landed, went to the hotel to check email, make a few phone calls and clean up before the reception that night. Afterwards, I went back to my room to sleep until about 2:30am, when it was time to stare at the walls and daydream about sleep. By the time I took the red-eye home at 12:30 am on Saturday, I was pooped. Check out this photo of people playing slots in the airport at midnight (who are they?). You can't hear it, but the Wheel of Fortune theme song is looping endlessly in the bacground.

I'm told that Vegas is an ideal trade show city, that people will fly there because of the many things to do outside of the exhibit hall. For those like me, that don't gamble, rooms are cheap, restaurants are plentiful and good, and there are plenty of activities. I might even want to visit the race car track nearby. Sources report that people can take three or four laps in a real NASCAR. Maybe I'll make the trip there one day as a visitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment