Sunday, March 28, 2010

Websites and Blogging

Hannah and Susan left this morning at 5am for Cambridge, Massachusetts and the Harvard Invitational Ballroom Tournament. Left to my own devices for the day, I managed to keep up with the laundry and didn't even turn anyone's socks pink.

While bumming around the house, I got started on my latest project: a website for the Simsbury Farmer's Market. I had responded to a call for volunteers in the Simsbury Post. As it turns out, they were looking for someone to build a website and blog as well as start an email newsletter. For some reason, I volunteered... and I'm quite glad that I did.

This weekend's assignment was to create a simple place holder site and style sheet that could be used for a larger site. Most of my work has been industrial and business to business, so the look and feel of this site were a little bit different. Plenty of work still to do, but it's headed in the right direction. Check it out: http://www.simsburyfarmmarket.com.

I've also spent a bunch of time on bouldenhistory.org, our family genealogical site. Having studied history in college, I've always been drawn to my past. Working on the lineage charts has helped me understand the connections that link one generation to the next, and encouraged me to learn more about the individuals on the chart.

The narrative histories collected by my father have provided an education. I never knew that William Louis Boulden fought in the War of 1812 and used his bonus to buy his wife out of indentured servitude from the governor of Delaware. Neither did I know that her descendants came to the colonies because they were on the wrong side of Oliver Cromwell in the English Civil War.

Pretty cool stuff. Alright, no more blogs about Boulden history for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment